Missing Argentinian submarine reportedly found a year after it vanished

Share

The Argentine government has acknowledged that it lacks the proper technology to salvage the submarine that disappeared a year ago with 44 crew members onboard, after it was found on the seabed deep in the Atlantic early on Saturday.

The San Juan was some 430 km (270 miles) off Argentina's Patagonian coast when it sent its last signal. And almost 10 days later, Navy officials confirmed there had been an explosion on board, which experts said was likely linked to the battery problem.

Identification of the ARA San Juan ends any narrow hope that families had of finding the crew alive.

Several senior officers were dismissed, including Navy chief Marcelo Srur, and numerous families have expressed anger and disappointment at the government's efforts to find their missing relatives.

The firm began its search on September 8.

He specified that the vessel was discovered at a depth of 907 meters.

Relatives of crew members prayed for their return in Mar del Plata even as hopes dwindled that the diesel-powered submarine would be found before the air supply ran out. Under an agreement with the Argentine government, it will be paid $7.5 million for the discovery.

More news: Trump on China: 'Can't have trade that's meant for stupid people'

The commander's comments come after submarine with over 40 crew on board went missing following reporting about a technical malfunction.

Teams will dive down to whatever is left of the San Juan during an operation that is expected to last about seven hours, but defence minister Oscar Aguad has warned that the country "does not have the means to recover the wreckage". Photo images revealed it to be the submarine, the ARA San Juan. The company had previously been contracted to find Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, which disappeared over the Indian Ocean in 2014.

Families of the crew say they are determined to fight for the rescue of the submarine and those inside.

Several grieving mothers of the missing have turned up every morning in a forlorn protest at the sub's home base in Mar del Plata.

The Argentine navy said it could have been the sound of the submarine imploding.

The loss of the San Juan is the first major tragedy to hit the navy since the Falklands War in 1982. It was the only major ship Argentina lost in the war over the disputed Falkland Islands, which Argentina calls the Malvinas.

Would you like to get published on Standard Media websites?

Share