Saudis 'to admit to killing journalist in interrogation that went wrong'

Share

The Saudis are preparing a report that will acknowledge that Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi's death was the result of an interrogation that went wrong, one that was meant to lead to his abduction from Turkey, according to two sources. The network cited two anonymous sources, one of whom cautioned the report could change.

Saudi Arabia has been under pressure since Khashoggi, a critic of Riyadh and a USA resident, disappeared on October 2 after visiting the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.

Such an acknowledgment would follow President Trump's suggestion yesterday after speaking with King Salman by phone that "rogue killers" appeared to have been behind Khashoggi's disappearance on a visit to his country's consulate in Istanbul.

"The king firmly denied any knowledge of it", Trump told reporters as he left the White House for a trip to survey hurricane damage in Florida and in Georgia.

With Trump now appearing to buy into theories about "rogue killers" being responsible, even while Ankara claims it possesses strong evidence of Riyadh's guilt, it seems certain that anyone expecting a strong USA response to Khashoggi's disappearance would be well advised to lower their expectations now. "Who knows?" the president said, describing the situation as "terrible".

In other words, if Saudi Arabia really did send a team to torture, kill and dismember Khashoggi - a journalist who wrote for the Washington Post - weapons sales are still more important.

Saudi officials arrive at the the consulate in Istanbul where Mr Khashoggi was last seen.

The State Department has urged a thorough investigation and called on Saudi Arabia to be transparent about the results - advice broadly tracking messages from allies in Europe.

American lawmakers threatened tough punitive action against the Saudis, and Germany, France and Britain jointly called for a "credible investigation" into Khashoggi's disappearance.

Bethesda-based Lockheed had $51 billion in sales past year, almost 70 percent of which, or $35.2 billion, came from sales to the USA government - about the same amount that the Trump administration proposed for the entire State Department budget.

More news: Elizabeth Warren Releases DNA Test Results

Manchester United sources insist the club is not for sale following speculation over a takeover bid by Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman.

The crown prince, ambitious, aggressive and just 33 in a kingdom long ruled by aging monarchs, has considerable weight in Saudi government actions.

October 2: He goes back to the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul.

Billionaire Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal - who was among those temporarily detained as part of what Saudi authorities said was an anti-corruption crackdown - tweeted an image of the Saudi flag Sunday in support of the ruling family, saying: "God, then the king, then the nation".

Asked if he had reviewed the purported recording of Khashoggi's killing, Trump told reporters on Saturday: "I have not".

When will the search take place?

Trump last week vowed to uncover the truth about what happened to Khashoggi and promised "severe punishment" for those responsible.

The Yemeni statement said Saudi Arabia was being targeted due to its "honourable and honest positions" towards a range of issues, particularly its role in combating "terrorism and extremism" fostered by Iran. Trump, in his rambling and sometimes incoherent discussions, has made it clear that there's no higher principle than money.

"The world is watching, the world is talking". "If the Saudis cut down the oil their country produces by a significant amount, this could cause a lot of tension on the oil markets and cause oil prices to jump very quickly in a very short amount of time, which would harm western economies", he said. "And I think that plays out here".

Khashoggi meets Hatice Cengiz, a 36-year-old Turkish Ph.D. student, at a conference in Istanbul and she soon becomes his fiancée.

Share