Saudi Arabia's cabinet rejects interference in the Kingdom's affairs

Share

Saudi Arabian officials invited Turkish experts and related officials to visit its consulate in Istanbul, the Anadolu Agency reported on Tuesday, following the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi a week ago.

The Turkish Foreign Ministry reported on Tuesday that Saudi Arabia has granted a request to allow Turkish investigators into the Istanbul consulate.

A Turkish official said the Saudi ambassador met with Deputy Foreign Minister Sedat Onal on Sunday at the ministry.

Riyadh has denied Khashoggi was killed or detained on its Istanbul premises, and claims that the veteran journalist left the consulate shortly after entering.

Turkish investigators believe that Khashoggi, 59, was killed shortly after he entered and his body was later removed from the premises, a US official and sources close to the investigation said.

"His friends had warned him, 'Don't go there, it is not safe, ' but he said they could not do anything to him in Turkey", said Aktay. "Jamal was - or, as we hope, is - a committed, courageous journalist".

She said Mr Khashoggi had been required to surrender his mobile phone, which is standard practice in some diplomatic missions.

"We call on the government of Saudi Arabia to support a thorough investigation of Mr Khashoggi's disappearance and to be transparent about the results of that investigation", Pompeo said in a statement. "If he left, you must prove this, you will prove this, even if it's with visuals".

Bruce Riedel, a former C.I.A. analyst who advised four presidents and is now at the Brookings Institution, called Khashoggi's disappearance consistent with the pattern of "crude intimidation" and the growing silencing of dissent in Saudi Arabia.

Khashoggi had gone to the consulate to obtain documents needed to marry his Turkish fiancee.

More news: Jimmy Butler blockbuster trade was close but fell apart between Wolves, Heat

Now a source close to the Saudi royals has told DailyMail.com that an alternative version of events is being discussed inside high levels of the Saudi government.

Last week, Crown Prince Mohammed told Bloomberg News that his government was "very keen to know what happened to him", and that Mr Khashoggi had left "after a few minutes or one hour".

Worldwide pressure is also ramping up on Saudi Arabia to cooperate with the probe.

Saudi Arabia authorities said they have nothing to do with the journalist's disappearance. Khashoggi had relocated to the United States on October 2, 2017, fearing trouble (or even harm) from Saudi authorities - at the behest of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (MBS) - for having remained a strong voice of dissent, always vociferous in castigating the Saudi government for its anti-people policies, severe Wahhabism, persecution of Houthis in Yemen, economic blockade of Qatar and myriad other problems. We're also joined by Medea Benjamin, co-founder of CodePink, who knew Khashoggi and is the author of "Kingdom of the Unjust: Behind the U.S. -Saudi Connection".

'There's some pretty bad stories about it.

Saudi Arabia says the allegations are baseless.

The former government adviser, who turns 60 on October 13, has lived in self-imposed exile in the United States since previous year to avoid possible arrest.

Amnesty International's Middle East research director, Lynn Maalouf, said if the reports of Khashoggi's killing are true, it "would be an abysmal new low" and "amount to an extrajudicial execution".

Mr Khashoggi was a regular contributor to The Post, and colleagues there have said he often expressed concern for his safety because of his writing.

Khashoggi was one journalist who chose to "report the reality".

Share