Vikings' Everson Griffen Accused of Threatening to 'Shoot Up' Minneapolis Hotel


Last week, the Minnesota Vikings were concerned enough about Everson Griffen's state of mind that they barred the three-time Pro Bowl defensive end from practice until he had a mental health evaluation.

A report made public Tuesday by Minnetrista police details how the head of Vikings security asked authorities to check on Griffen's wife and children following an incident allegedly involving Griffen at the Hotel Ivy in downtown Minneapolis just hours before the team played the Buffalo Bills at U.S. Bank Stadium.

While waiting for the ambulance to take him to the hospital, Griffen reportedly told an officer about people trying to kill him.

Griffen, 30, was arrested twice after his rookie season, the first incident coming January 28, 2011, when he was arrested in Los Angeles on suspicion of public intoxication.

In a statement Monday evening, Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman said the team is "currently focused on Everson's well-being and providing the appropriate support for him and his family".

The source said Griffen is "getting assistance on personal matters" and that the league is "comfortable he has a good support system around him".

Minneapolis police redacted the person's name from the police report on the incident, but an unidentified source confirmed to the KSTP that it was Griffen who was named in the report.

Because they also know he has stood the test of time, and they also know what the coach knows about Everson Griffen.

More news: Tesla Builds Its Own Car Carriers to Keep Up With Demand

Later that day, Griffen arrived at the west suburban home of teammate Trae Waynes.

After a scary series of incidents on Saturday, Griffen remained away from the team on Tuesday and out of action indefinitely.

Griffen was arrested twice in three days in Los Angeles during the offseason after his rookie year.

Zimmer said he hasn't talked to Griffen since the Week 2 overtime game at Green Bay.

The player was not booked into jail but was instead sent for a medical evaluation, according to a report by police in western Hennepin County.

Griffen later left his vehicle at a Minnetonka gas station and got into the passenger seat of a stranger's truck.

The police incident report notes that no criminal charges are forthcoming.

"He's always been a really, really good model for us, and obviously he's going through some tough times right now", the coach added. "We told him that he needed to go to a hospital and get checked out", an officer stated in his report. He recently signed a four-year, $58 million extension that included a $2 million signing bonus and a total of $34 million in guaranteed money.