A year later, Golovkin, Alvarez meet with bad intentions

Share

First there was grumbling over Alvarez's performance in the first fight held a year ago that ended in an unsatisfying draw.

However, the only way to watch all four fights is to order Canelo vs GGG 2 and tune in on TV.

Barring any "backroom politics", the rematch set for this Saturday (September 16th) is being billed as more than a unification fight for all the Middleweight straps, but as the deciding vote in choosing the number one spot on the Pound for Pound list, regardless of division.

Golovkin, the unbeaten WBA, WBC and IBO champion, will be chasing a place in boxing history as he attempts to make a record-breaking 21st consecutive defense of his middleweight crowns against Mexican idol Alvarez at a sold-out T-Mobile Arena.

So what were boxing fans saying about the weigh-in?

Only a freak scorecard from judge Adalaide Byrd, who triggered uproar after ruling it 118-110 Alvarez, denied Golovkin a victory.

But the scorecards that night left a bitter taste.

Golokvin told the media this week: "I have lost respect for him".

More news: Trump's previously announced visit to Ireland in question

This preview for Canelo vs. Golovkin 2 - "The REMATCH" will give you chills... After failing two drug tests in February for clenbuterol and pushing the date from May 5 to September 15, Golovkin and his team have labeled Alvarez as a "cheater" - even though the latter has said on numerous occasions that contaminated meat caused the positive results. It was the first positive test of his career, a setback he blamed on the consumption of tainted steak in his home country of Mexico. However, that was scrapped after Canelo failed a drug test for the banned substance, clenbuterol.

Not wanting to risk a period of inactivity, he remained determined to fight on May 5th, taking on former world title challenger Vanes Martirosyan in a hastily-arranged clash at the StubHub Center in Los Angeles.

LAS VEGAS- Canelo Alvarez has gone to bed the last few months thinking about how he's going to knock out Gennady Golovkin in their middleweight title rematch.

The courageous Armenian lasted all of four minutes and 53 seconds before being clobbered into submission as Golovkin made a statement to his rivals in the division with yet another imposing knockout.

Both fighters comfortably made weight for the 160-pound world title fight.

The two middleweights meet exactly a year after their first fight was controversially declared a draw, despite most ringside spectators calling the fight a win for GGG. "The first fight was a good experience".

But the youthful Mexican could look to push the pace against his aging rival who, despite having looked as fresh as ever during recent contests, will surely one day show signs of slowing up.

Share