One Park, One Day, 41 Overdoses


Connecticut Public Radio's Diane Orson reports that at least one person has been arrested in connection with the case.

"We heard from people on the green this morning that it potentially included PCP".

He quickly helped coordinate the response, and then returned to the microphone.

Over the course of 24 hours in New Haven, Connecticut, Wednesday, more than 70 people overdosed on what authorities believe to be synthetic marijuana, also known as K2 or spice.

The majority of people overdosed on suspected synthetic marijuana at the CT city park and another two people nearby fell ill with similar symptoms around 8 a.m. Wednesday morning, officials said. The park, home to a historical burial ground, gets lots of foot traffic and is family-friendly with "elm trees, lawn and fountains".

An emergency medical technician for the New Haven Fire Department told the Register that he's never had such an abnormal day at work in the five years he's been there.

Another 5 people refused medical attention and were not in enough distress to be transported for treatment, he said.

More news: Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin dies aged 76

Overdose deaths involving synthetic opioids rose sharply, while fatalities from heroin, prescription opioid pills and methadone fell, according to the C.D.C. estimates.

"Do not come down to the Green and purchase this K2", New Haven Police Chief Anthony Campbell warned, according to WABC-TV. CNN has reached out to the DEA for more information.

Hawk said the people who tested positive may have taken other drugs laced with fentanyl in addition to the synthetic marijuana, which is plant material sprayed with drugs and chemicals. Police are searching for two suspects after more than two dozen people have fallen sick, he said. That wide range is due to the fact that the drugs used change from batch to batch.

"They are not safe and may affect the brain much more powerfully than marijuana; their actual effects can be unpredictable and, in some cases, more unsafe or even life-threatening", the institute stated. In May, for example, 25 people were hospitalized in one area of Brooklyn, New York, after having negative reactions to what was believed to be K2, police said. "It brought out Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven Police Department, Fire Department, AMR".

"It's a nationwide problem". "And after about the sixth one", Alston said. "This is a problem that's not going away".

The Office of Emergency Management in New Haven said it is still fielding calls and the number of victims could increase. Some people were unconscious, others were semi-conscious.

No deaths have been reported, but two individuals had severe symptoms. Their names have not been released and the investigation is ongoing, police said.