Wisconsin Man Loses Limbs From Dog Saliva That Led To Rare Infection


A Milwaukee-area man needed multiple amputations after contracting a rare blood infection after being licked by his dog.

He contracted a blood infection after being licked by the dog, thought to be his own, according to Fox6.

Last month, Greg Manteufel, from West Bend, started experiencing flu-like symptoms including fever, vomiting and diarrhea. "Looked like somebody beat him up with a baseball bat", the patient's wife, Dawn Manteufel said, via WHNT.

However, after doctors conducted several tests, they discovered Manteufel had actually picked up a infection from the bacteria capnocytophaga, which is commonly found in dog and cat saliva. However, there have only been about 500 cases logged in the US and Canada since 1976 of the bacteria causing sepsis when no dog bite was found.

Manteufel experienced severe complications, which caused his blood pressure to drop and the circulation in his legs to decrease rapidly.

Dawn Manteufel said that they are focued on what her husband has left, rather than what was taken away.

"He told the doctors, 'Do what you have to do to keep me alive, '" Dawn Manteufel said.

More news: Anthony Martial issues statement after leaving Manchester United's pre-season tour prematurely

A GoFundMe Account has been set up to help with Manteufel's medical bills.

A 48-year-old is the latest victim of a flesh-eating bacteria that forced him to have all of his limbs amputated.

'It took a week and they were taking his legs. Within days of being admitted to the hospital while still fighting for his life, Greg first lost both feet, after a second surgery to remove more damage on legs, they amputated thru both kneecaps.

A bacteria called Capnocytophaga canimorsus attacked Greg Manteufel quickly and aggressively. Up to 74 percent of dogs have the bacteria and 57 percent of cats have it.

Capnocytophaga can cause opportunistic infections, meaning they have to have the right conditions to cause an infection, such as when a person has a weakened immune system. "It's just chance", she told the station.

Jason Marchand, the page's creator, said: "Greg has held his head high and is taking all the news like a beast". His case is particularly unlucky because for the infection to be passed on the dog usually has to bite you. The CDC says it's fatal in about 30 percent of people who get infected, sometimes within 72 hours of the onset of symptoms.