It said it implemented its food-safety-response protocols, which include replacing the food and a cleaning of the restaurant.
Three reports covering nine individuals were posted on the crowd-sourcing website Iwaspoisoned.com between Sunday and Monday, according to Business Insider.
Chipotle has closed down one of its restaurants in Powell, Ohio for the time being after several reports of customers becoming ill.
The burrito chain briefly closed down one of its restaurants in Powell, Ohio Monday after a number of customers became sick.
The illnesses haven't been officially linked to Chipotle food consumption.More news: Lewandowski sets ultimatum as striker eyes to leave Bayern Munich
"They are under a microscope, and any blip that arises is important for the business on a scale different than others", Chapman added, noting, for perspective, that there are an estimated 48 million cases of foodborne illnesses in the United States each year.
As for the stock, the drop in it isn't that shocking, because Chipotle has had a big price rally in the past few months, much of which was likely fueled by short covering. Officials said they are investigating the possibility of food-borne illnesses stemming from the restaurant in the suburb of Columbus, but have not pinpointed the source of the problem.
Anyone who experienced symptoms of sickness after eating at this Chipotle between July 26-30 is asked to report to the Delaware County Health Department. Accern also gave news stories about the restaurant operator an impact score of 45.762239272966 out of 100, meaning that recent press coverage is somewhat unlikely to have an impact on the stock's share price in the near term.
In 2015, Chipotle's business almost dried up after an E.coli outbreak that spanned 11 states, leading the company to undertake a chain-wide safety retraining in early 2016 that closed all 2,000 of its stores for a day.
James Marsden, the chain's executive director of food safety, will discuss a this year's Fast Casual Executive Summit, Oct. 7-9 in Seattle, how he is working with the brand to transform its food safety approach.