Bacterial infection kills man who ate raw oyster at Florida restaurant

Share

A 71-year-old man has died after eating raw oysters in a Florida restaurant. It states the man ate the oyster on July 8th and died two days later.

The department did not release the name of the restaurant where the man ate the tainted shellfish. "Vibrio vulnificus is a naturally occurring bacteria in warm, salty or brackish water", Florida Department of Health said.

Health officials advise those with weakened immune systems to wear proper foot protection to prevent cuts and injury caused by rocks and shells on the beach.

A 71-year-old man died of infection of the vibrio vulnificus bacteria after eating oysters at a restaurant in Florida.

More news: Facebook Violent Videos Have Value, Moderator Trainees Told

The CDC warned that it is impossible to tell if an oyster is bad just by looking at it and advised that cooking them properly is the only way to kill harmful bacteria. While infections are rare, people can contract the bacteria by eating contaminated raw shellfish, or by exposing open wounds such as cuts or scrapes to water.

"The bacterium can invade the bloodstream, causing a severe and life-threatening illness", the Florida Department of Health said". The county, according to the department, didn't have any cases or deaths in 2017, and three confirmed cases and one death in 2016.

"The summer time, May, June July there are no R's in there the water's warmer so the bacteria that's potentially hazardous to some people is more prevalent", Alton said. While most cases are mild, the infection can become serious and lead to limb amputation or death within days of encountering the flesh-eating bacteria.

This is the first confirmed case of the Vibrio bacteria this year in Sarasota, according to Florida Health. Manatee County has had one case of flesh eating bacteria so far in 2018, but no fatalities.

Share