Cornish cave diver says Thai rescue is 'very distressing'


However, unlike Sunday and Monday when only four were brought out each day due to logistical constraints, rescuers would try to extract all of the remaining five in one operation, Narongsak said. But heavy rain overnight has increased the danger that the water levels in the caves will rise further, adding to the hazards of diving and potentially threatening the elevated bank of sand on which the football team are stranded. The third day of the intricate and high-risk mission aims to rescue the remaining boys and their coach and also bring out a medic and three Thai Navy SEALs who have stayed with the teenagers in their dark refuge deep within the sprawling cave.

The country is typically transfixed by the World Cup, but Pichai said even this seemed subdued compared to normal, with everyone's attention on the twists and turns of the Tham Luang rescue.

Thai health officials told reporters on Tuesday morning that despite their ordeal, the eight boys who have been rescued appear to be in good health, The Guardian reported. A person with knowledge of the rescue said just before the eleventh person was spotted, that 10 people had been brought out.

Narongsak would not identify the rescued boys.

By Monday night, elite divers had managed to bring out eight members of the football team which included 12 boys and their 25-year-old coach.

The eight boys rescued after being trapped for more than two weeks were described as generally healthy.

A teacher of the Mae Sai Prasitsart school, attended by numerous boys, said preparations were made to manage the mental health impacts on the boys and that they would not have to sit an exam scheduled for next week.

Officials said the rescued boys had not been identified out of respect for the families whose sons were still trapped. "We should treat them like disaster victims, and not like theyve done anything wrong".

The identity of the rescued boys has not been confirmed by authorities.

Two of the boys had suspected lung infections but the four boys from the first group rescued were all walking around their hospital beds.

More news: Pompeo brushes off North Korean 'gangster' claim

VideoOne of the divers on the rescue team in Thailand explains the difficulty of getting the boys out.

They are part of a youth soccer team known as the Wild Boars.

The weather in Chiang Rai, Thailand, where the boys and their coach are trapped in a cave, is "actually quite dry", said CBS News foreign correspondent Ben Tracy.

The boys had asked for chocolate and bread, both of which the hospital had provided, he said.

He posted video of divers escorting the pod during testing in a Los Angeles swimming pool.

"When the first group came, their temperatures were low", he said.

Despite being told by the head of the rescue operation that the submarine was not practical for the rescue mission, Musk stated he was leaving the submarine "here in case it may be useful in the future".

Torrential rain struck the site on Monday evening and it continued through into the morning, but authorities said preparations for the final rescue mission were unaffected.

Although there have been no major reported complications during the initial rescues, the death of a former Thai Navy SEAL diver who ran out of oxygen in a flooded area of the cave on Friday underscored the dangers of the journey.