Ant McPartlin breaks silence after pleading guilty to drink-driving charge


While reporting outside the Wimbledon Magistrates' Court for the sentencing of Ant McPartlin, reporter Allison Freeman heard two cars involved in a collision live on TV.

McPartlin encountered a large crowd of photographers and reporters as he walked up the steps at the main court entrance, which was guarded by seven police officers.

Speaking to the studio she said: "They did say that he had had a very hard year and as was said by his lawyers he had already".

He said: "High standards are expected of me, I expect them of myself".

Inside the courtroom, he spoke only to confirm his name, age, address and nationality before pleading guilty to a single charge of drink-driving.

The ITV presenter said outside court: "Can I say a few words?"

He was found to be more than twice over the drink driving limit at the time of the accident.

The court heard Ant's mother, Christine Woodhall, was in the auto at the time he crashed.

More news: Wages rising for first time in a year

Her colleague in studio can be heard saying: "Oh dear".

The television presenter released a statement late Monday afternoon expressing his regret at what had happened. He collided with a green Mini coming the other way and then swerved into the path of a BMW, smashing into it head-on.

'The damage done to his auto meant it could no longer be driven. Members of the public called the police.

A statement read to he court by Mrs Sinnett-Jones on behalf of Mr Vanoo, the other driver, added: 'The black mini came down the road in my side of the lane facing the wrong side of the road'. We were hit with considerable force casing us to move around in the auto. My wife's face hit the vehicle seat causing injury to her face'.

A van and 4X4 vehicle appear to have been left undamaged following the incident outside Wimbledon Magistrates' Court, but the third auto was left with a dented bumper and bonnet.

He said: "I just wanted to say that I am truly sorry for what happened".

Ant pleaded guilty to drink driving, and was fined £86,000 and given a 20-month ban. The previous record was £54,000, given to the Manchester City footballer Yaya Touré in 2016.