However, a horror mix-up of identification tags saw the wrong man wheeled into theatre and his skull opened.
Hours into the surgery doctors discovered there was no blood clot in the brain of their patient, and that they were in fact operating on the wrong man, the newspaper reported.
The Daily Nation, which investigated the scandal since Wednesday, will not publish details of the patients out of respect for their privacy and because it was not clear on Thursday if their families had been informed of the operation.
Kenyatta National Hospital CEO Lily Koros and the Director Clinical Services have been sent on compulsory leave following a neurosurgical mix-up.
The surgeon, ward nurse, theatre receiving nurse and anaesthetist were consequently suspended for their alleged role in the incident.
"We are happy to inform the public that the patient is in recovery and progressing well", she said.More news: Czechs release Syrian Kurdish politician, angering Turkey
Other staff at the hospital are protesting the suspension and saying the person/people who tagged the patients are the ones who made the mistake.
"I wish to pronounce myself on this matter by appointing in acting capacity Dr Mutie and Dr Ogech; both competent professionals who understand the systems in this hospital to take over and support the board complete the investigations which I have directed be conducted immediately".
"Besides, the file details and patient label tallied".
However, during admission, the one with the swelling was given the name and ID number of the one who had a blood clot in the brain.
After consulting a senior neurosurgeon, the operating doctor reportedly was instructed to proceed no further, clean up the area and close the head.
Fortunately, both patients are said to be in a good condition. "The second patient, who was scheduled to go for surgery is, fortunately, also stable, he has been put on treatment and is under watch".