Missing #DapchiGirls: "We are sorry that it happened" - President Buhari

Share

The group is suspected to have kidnapped scores of girls on Monday from a school in Dapchi village, Yobe state.

While Boko Haram's kidnapping operation is similar to its infamous kidnapping in 2014 of female students from Chibok, the government's response has so far been quite different.

"Our Movement welcomes the news that some of the abductees have been rescued by the Nigeria Army".

"I abducted your girls", the group's leader Abubakar Shekau declared in a video from 2014.

The Governor who visited Dapchi town on Thursday, however, said, contrary to the claim, that no girl has been rescued yet.

"We were happy yesterday when the government said they have found our daughters. The Yobe state government apologises for that", said Abdullahi Bego, spokesman for Yobe Governor Ibrahim Gaidam.

"The list we have here is from the parents that came themselves and reported that they had not seen their children up till this moment", Manzo told The Nation.

"We met other girls and the teacher counted all of us". There have been wild guesses as to their number. "We had policemen but they ran to the bush". But another source said even the Shekau faction could have carried out the act, "because he too carries out expeditions around those areas from town to town". I said western education should end.

Abubakar Shehu, whose niece is among those missing from Dapchi, said a search of surrounding villages had drawn a blank.

There has been confusion and mixed reports on the exact number of children who are still missing.

More news: Grand jury indicts Gov. Greitens who admitted affair

"The entire country stands as one with the girls' families, the government and the people of Yobe State".

He called on the theatre commander to correct some of the faulty strategies of his commanders which were at variance with the state adding that there was no justification for withdrawing the soldiers located in the area at that particular time.

Public Relationship officer of the School Mrs Elizabeth Aboreng who spoke New Telegraph on a Telephone call disclose that the students from NCE Two class had protested the released of their ID card by the school management and later took laws into their hands by burning down properties in the institution including the school clinic and Ambulance.

"Only those in the broken down vehicle were lucky".

The attack will again raise questions about the government's grip on security in remote northeast Nigeria, after almost nine years of fighting and at least 20 000 deaths.

"The angry residents ignored the tear gas as they vandalised seven vehicles in our convoy".

Safai Maimagani, a herbal medicine vendor, said the militants headed towards the school on the edge of the sleepy farming community. "Not long afterwards they returned", he said. I abducted your girls. The Army would also release a statement saying that certain abducted girls from the school had been rescued.

The group which has been fighting to establish an Islamic state in north-eastern Nigeria since 2009 represents a threat to President Muhamamdu Buhari ahead of next year's elections.

But civilians - especially those displaced by the conflict - remain vulnerable to suicide attacks and hit-and-run raids.

57 escaped in the immediate aftermath and since May a year ago, 107 have either escaped or been released as part of a government-brokered deal.

Share