USA says Myanmar makes life for Rohingya 'a death sentence'

Share

US Permanent Representative Nikki Haley, who insisted on referring to Myanmar as Burma, said, "The Security Council has so far failed in its responsibility to act in response to the clear threat to global peace and security that has resulted from recent events in northern Rakhine State".

"This council must hold the military accountable for their actions and pressure Aung San Suu Kyi to acknowledge these horrific acts are taking place in her country".

She said authorities in Myanmar are preventing access to Rakhine state to anyone or any organization that might bear witness to their atrocities.

French U.N. Ambassador Francois Delattre also told the Security council that a massacre of Rohingya Muslims reported by Reuters could "constitute crimes against humanity".

As for the third point, which is voluntary, safe, dignified and sustainable return of refugees and internally displaced people to their places of origin or choice, Mr. Jenca said the Government has taken some high-level steps to advance this process, including the convening of an Advisory Board, whose recommendations include the inclusion of the United Nations at an early stage, soonest full humanitarian access, wider media access, and the formation of an independent fact-finding commission.

Haley also cited evidence of "another massacre and mass grave" discovered by two Reuters reporters, now imprisoned.

She called on Guterres to appoint a special envoy for Myanmar.

After Grandi gave his recommendations to the Security Council, Nikki Haley, the USA ambassador to the United Nations, commented that the United Nations had so far failed in its response to the crisis in Myanmar.

More news: Concussion Blood Test Wins FDA Approval

"Using labels and attempts to use contradictory and subjective reports of the media.to find out who's guilty and condemn them only move us farther away from a solution", Russia's Deputy U.N. Ambassador Dmitry Polyanskiy warned.

Grandi told the Security Council in a video briefing from Geneva that since the crisis began last August, more than 688,000 Rohingyas have fled violence and destruction, including over 1,500 this month — and thousands more are expected.

Almost 690,000 Rohingya have fled Rakhine state and crossed into southern Bangladesh since last August, when attacks on security posts by insurgents triggered a military crackdown that the United Nations has said may amount to genocide.

The government is now ready to receive the first group of returnees, Suan said, noting that Myanmar's minister of home affairs will visit Bangladesh on February 15 to discuss repatriation and the problem of about 6,000 Rohingyas stranded at the border.

Myanmar's Hau Do Suan said that an inquiry by the Myanmar military, known as the Tatmadaw, had found that 10 Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army militants had been arrested in Inn Din and executed and buried a day later. Any military actions in the region, the government says, were in response to the threat posed by Rohingya militants.

"Every citizen is bound by the existing law of the land".

They also discussed issues of bilateral cooperation, trade and investment and socioeconomic development in Bangladesh, said the Foreign Ministry.

During the council meeting, many countries including Britain, Netherlands, France, Kazakhstan and Sweden raised the reports of mass graves and the imprisoned journalists.

Share