Toronto firefighter located safely in California after going missing in NY


A Toronto firefighter who disappeared during a ski trip in upstate NY has been found "alive and in good health" in Sacramento, Calif.

Sgt. Shaun Hampton with the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department says Constantinos (Danny) Filippidis was showing signs of serious memory loss when he called police from the city airport on Tuesday morning identifying himself as someone missing from NY.

The search for the missing skier had entered its sixth day.

Mark Chinapen, a friend of Filippidis and member of the Los Angeles Police Department Board of Directors, said he's just as confused as everyone else.

She told him to call 911 and get help.

Filippidis was alone when he was found, and was still wearing the clothing he had been skiing in when he went missing, he said.

"The circumstances regarding this case are under investigation, and further details will be released at a later time", New York State Police reported Tuesday afternoon in a press release.

His belongings - including his identification documents - were discovered in his lodge, along with his auto in the parking lot.

More news: Gay Olympic medalists pose for picture and send message

The TPFFA told Global News last Thursday that the 49-year-old Filippidis went to the village, most known for hosting the 1980 Winter Olympics, for vacation and was joined by friends, family and other off-duty and retired firefighters.

Ramagnano said he had personally travelled to Lake Placid, and saw the search in action. He said Filippidis was skiing with one other person but when that person started to feel tired, he said Filippidis chose to do "one last run" by himself.

Constantinos "Danny" Filippidis called his wife from Sacramento on Tuesday, nearly 3,000 miles from where searchers were combing Whiteface Mountain for him.

Authorities said helicopters, search dogs and 135 people spent days searching for him on Whiteface, one of the most rugged and highest peaks in the Adirondack mountain chain.

"We are all very relieved to know that he is safe, following what has been an exhaustive search operation", Pegg wrote.

In addition to state police, the state agencies involved were the state Department of Environmental Conservation, Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services, and Olympic Regional Development Authority, which runs Whiteface. On Tuesday, Lundin referred questions to state police.

Searchers also put out the call for video footage from anyone who was skiing in the area Filippidis was last seen.

Ramagnano called the response from fellow firefighters "tremendous", with about 100 volunteering to aid in the search efforts. They appreciated how well the search-and-rescue team handled the situation.