What's the Tide Pod Problem?

Share

Apparently, the Tide Pod Challenge also caught the attention of Procter & Gamble, Tide's parent company.

Travis Sarringar, manager of Hurts Donut in Lincoln, said his shop created a doughnut decorated with frosting to look like the white, orange and blue pods that have been in the news.

In addition to taking down the videos, Google will give anyone who posts footage of anyone eating Tide Pods a strike on their channels for violating YouTube's Community Guidelines, which were already there, and content uploaders should've known better.

Now, YouTube is removing Tide Pod Challenge videos because they encourage "dangerous activities". "We work to quickly remove flagged videos that violate our policies", the spokesperson told HuffPost.

The Tide Pod Challenge, which is unsafe to your health, has already been pushed to the limit. Well, they're not - OK, they sort of are, but it's a joke, people (albeit a potentially risky one).

Still, the American Association of Poison Control Centers has noted an increase in calls (39 cases in 2016 and 53 in 2017) due to "exposures" to laundry detergent packets like Tide pods in the past two years among 13-to-19 year olds, some of which involved people eating the pods. Dares to eat laundry pods followed on Reddit and Twitter.

More news: Khloe opens up about keeping her pregnancy secret

The Pied Pods are stuffed with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni, baked and then topped with melted, dyed cheese that's the bright orange and blue hue of Tide pods. "They should be only used to clean clothes and kept up, closed and away from children".

Eating a Tide POD is a BAD IDEA, and we asked our friend @robgronkowski to help explain.

Vinnie's isn't the only one hoping to stop kids from eating Tide pods.

In the past, warnings about misuse of laundry pods have been directed at those caring for toddlers, who have been known to mistake the brightly-coloured packets for candies. The company recently trotted out the New England Patriots' Rob Gronkowski to film a PSA about the dangers of ingesting the visually attractive but potentially lethal packets of highly-concentrated detergent. The shop plans to make them for the next few days, he said.

"Laundry detergent packets are not toys".

"They're made to melt when they hit water, so when you ingest them in your mouth, they start melting and the chemicals are very serious", Smith said. "Ingestion accounted for 91 per cent of these reported exposures".

Share