Keita to stay at Leipzig till June

Share

However, the Guinea worldwide had hoped he could move to Anfield six months earlier with reports of Liverpool offering the Bundesliga side another £13million to release him from the original agreement.

RB Leipzig have put speculation "to bed" and declared they will not allow Naby Keita to join Liverpool in January.

Liverpool currently have a deal worth around £55million in place to sign the Guinea global this summer but with Coutinho now gone, Klopp is said to be desperate to sign Keita now.

Bild were certain that the move could happen as long as Liverpool paid up, but this weekend RB Leipzig have made it clear publicly that Keita isn't going anywhere until the summer.

In a tweet, the club said "OFFICIAL: Naby Keïta will remain an RBLeipzig player until 30th June 2018".

Liverpool had agreed a £57 million (S$103m) deal to sign the 22-year-old midfielder in the summer, but had recently wanted the Guinean to join them ahead of schedule.

More news: Russian Federation condemns Trump's threats to withdraw from Iran nuclear deal

Philippe Coutinho's transfer to Barcelona earlier this month has left a heap of cash available to Jurgen Klopp to reinvest in his squad.

Keita showed a superb goal for Leipzig in Saturday's 3-1 Bundesliga win over Schalke. "A sale [in January] would have only been possible if we had secured an additional, exorbitantly high transfer fee".

Reds boss Jurgen Klopp will now have to wait until the summer to get his hands on the Guinea global midfielder.

And sporting director Ralf Ragnick also had his say on the talk, admitting that Liverpool have been keen to sign Keita this month, but will not pay what would be needed to do so.

"There are no inquiries or offers for any player who is on the pitch on or the bench for us today from any club", said Rangnick, who added that an increased offer would make no difference.

Share