One million suspected cholera cases in Yemen, Red Cross says

Share

This after Houthi Shiite rebels in Yemen launched missile attacks against Saudi Arabia's capital, targeting the Yamama Palace in Riyadh.

An unspecified number of Huthi guards died in the attack, residents said.

Elsewhere, in Sana'a Province's Sanhan District, aerial attacks wounded two children and a woman.

Witnesses and a security sources said other coalition air raids targeted a rebel camp south of Sanaa and a second camp to the west.

"As the Houthis lose territory and the scant support they have left in Yemen, they have attempted to broaden and further complicate the conflict by increasing their attacks against Saudi Arabia and by threatening to attack the UAE". Poncin said he believes this official figure is largely exaggerated.

He assured Filipino workers in Saudi Arabia and their families in the Philippines that contingency plans are in place to ensure that the embassy would be able to lead Filipinos to safety in case the situation escalates.

Yemen is in the midst of a bloody war between the Huthis and pro-government forces, who were expelled from Sanaa in September 2014. It imposed a blockade on the impoverished country when the conflict began.

It was the second ballistic missile to target the heart of Riyadh in less than two months.

More news: Enes Kanter scoffs at possibility of Turkish prison

The coalition eased the blockade on the key Red Sea port of Hodeida in November.

The coalition said it wanted to halt the smuggling of weapons to the rebels by Iran - an accusation that officials in Tehran denied - but the United Nations said the restrictions could trigger "the largest starvation the world has seen for many decades".

The blockade was partially lifted three weeks later under massive worldwide pressure, namely over the closure of Hodeida port - key to humanitarian and commercial deliveries.

Aid delivered through the ports of Hodeidah and Salif is also being misappropriated by the Houthi militias, the Coalition said on Saturday.

Tehran denied the charge on Wednesday, saying it has "no arms link with Yemen".

"We do not have a partner with whom we can reach peace", the exiled president said at a meeting with a number of ambassadors.

Yemen has been under air and ground attack by Saudi Arabia and its allies since March 2015, a conflict that has so far killed more than 10,000 people, more than half of them are civilians, according to worldwide aid agencies.

Share