Slain ex-Yemeni President Saleh buried without solemnities

Share

US-backed Saudi coalition forces renewed their attacks on Sanaa in order to back up Saleh's supporters.

Sweden's deputy United Nations ambassador Carl Skau and Britain's deputy United Nations ambassador Jonathan Allen echoed the call for an end to fighting and the opening of the port of Hodeida and Sanaa airport to deliver aid to Yemenis in desperate need.

Yemen's pro-Houthi Al Masirah television station said the coalition bombed Saleh's residence and other houses of his family members.

Saleh's vehicle was struck by an RPG fire on Monday and he was later shot to death, raising questions about what happens next in the almost three-year war that has killed at least 10 000 people.

In a televised speech, Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi called on Yemenis to rise up against the Iran-aligned Houthis.

The commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps, Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari, said Yemen's enemies had been behind Saleh's armed uprising and praised what he called the Houthis' swift quashing of the "coup against the holy warriors", the semi-official Fars news agency reported.

RSF's sources said the journalists were forced to surrender the TV channel's access codes, enabling the Houthis to broadcast their own content.

Читайте также: Escalating Takeover Battle, Broadcom Asks Qualcomm Shareholders to Replace Board

Yemen's capital Sana'a was quiet yesterday after five days of fighting and 25 airstrikes overnight. McGoldrick spoke to reporters in Geneva by phone on Tuesday from the Yemeni capital. He cited accounts of snipers firing upon ambulances, pregnant women with health issues not able to go to hospitals, and armored vehicles roaming the streets over the five-day span. He was killed by the rebels on Monday, leaving his followers in disarray.

The casualty tolls provided by the ICRC are separate from those sustained in airstrikes by the Saudi-led coalition which is waging war on the rebels, known as Houthis.

The International Committee of the Red Cross said Monday that at least 125 people had been killed and some 240 wounded in Sanaa since the fighting began last week.

Saleh's oldest son meanwhile pledged in a declaration sent to Reuters to fight the Houthis and liberate all territory held by the rebels.

A video provided to AFP by the rebels showed what appeared to be a dead Saleh with a severe head injury, his body wrapped in a floral-print blanket.

The bloody conflict has left impoverished Yemen as the world's leading humanitarian disasters with millions of people facing starvation.

Saleh's slaying likely gives the rebels the upper hand in the dayslong fighting for the country's capital, Sanaa.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2017 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Share