Netflix confirms 'House of Cards' will return, and will have new star

Share

The Metropolitan Police is investigating two claims of sexual assault against Spacey, while London's Old Vic theatre says it has received 20 allegations of inappropriate behaviour against him. The production for the sixth season will reportedly start around the beginning of 2018 and will be the final season for the show. "We are excited to bring closure to fans", he was quoted as saying. Up until this point, each season of the popular drama has run 13-episodes.

Following allegations against Spacey, the streaming company suspended production of the upcoming sixth and final season of the show, in which Spacey plays a corrupt US president, and said the series would be cancelled. What that means is that the Frank Underwood character is likely going to be killed off-screen leading into the start of the season and we'll get a chance to see the journey of Claire Underwood play out instead.

Last week MRC producers had informed "House of Cards" cast and crew that the hiatus on season 6 would be extended through December 8 and that the crew will continue to be paid during the break.

Production will resume in early 2018, the source said.

More news: Twitter reactions to the Patriots' 23-3 win over the Buffalo Bills

This decision to continue without Spacey was certainly a complex one, but Netflix has made it clear that they have a no tolerance policy for that kind of behavior.

Actor Anthony Rapp was the first person to make allegations against Spacey.

"The returning-series phenomenon is really exciting", Sarandos said, adding, "Last year, there was zero anticipation of "Stranger Things" before the show from the Duffer Brothers became a huge franchise.

As the company grows its production of original content, executives are confident it will show viewers the heighten "value" in its service as opposed to airing only outside entertainment.

Share