James Levine, then-Boston Symphony Orchestra music director, conducts the symphony on its opening night performance at Tanglewood in Lenox., Massachusetts on July 7, 2006.
Levine, who first became musical director of The Metropolitan Opera in 1976, continued to work there as recently as Saturday night, when he completed his run conducting Giuseppe Verdi's "Requiem".
The statement comes after the New York Post published an article over the weekend detailing a 2016 police report by the Lake Forest, Ill., police department in which a man alleged that Levine began sexually molesting him when he was a teenager in IL in the 1980s.
The official of Met acknowledged that they had been knowing about the police complaint since 2016, but it is heard that Levine denied the allegation at the time and police hadn't said anything further in the case. The victim said he had aspirations of becoming a conductor and first met Levine when he was only four years old. "We'll now be conducting our own investigation with outside resources".
The accuser, whose name is being withheld by The Associated Press, contacted reporters from several news organizations and posted a handful of items on social media accusing Levine of abusing him when he was young. It nearly destroyed my family and almost led me to suicide.More news: Saturday Night Live's Cold Open Made Donald Trump Face Michael Flynn
He also said that his relationship with Levine extended well into adulthood and that the composer gave him money over the years when he was having financial problems, amounting to more than $50,000.
The victim claimed in his report that similar behavior went on for years. He was trying to seduce me.
"We are deeply disturbed by the news articles that are being published online today about James Levine". "We need to determine if these chargers are true and, if they are, take appropriation action". The alleger explains in the report that the misconduct continued as he sought a mentorship from the famed conductor, who had promised to see if he could "be raised special like me".
The BSO said Levine has not conducted the orchestra since January 2011, and he "is not scheduled to conduct the orchestra at any time in the future".
The man told police he last spoke with Levine in 2014.