Mané and Clyne deliver double injury setback for Liverpool

Share

After barely featuring in pre-season, Clyne is yet to play a competitive minute of football due to the back injury, one that has caused much concern amongst fans due to the lack of public information on it. Klopp had earlier said on Clyne's injury, "Nathaniel is working hard on his rehab and we have kept a close eye on his progress, but the reality is we are looking at some time still before he is back and available for selection".

"If I was Liverpool, I would try to hire Marco Silva as his replacement", he said.

The English media reported on Monday evening that the England global has undergone corrective back surgery on an issue that has plagued him for months, and will continue to do so with the 25-year-old now set to miss another three months of action. He returned to training a few weeks ago, but suffered a set back in his recovery. However, Klopp confirmed the defender suffered another setback prior to the clash against West Ham United.

It is understood Clyne travelled to London with a member of the club's medical staff for corrective surgery on Monday. He is forced to spend up to three more months on the sidelines, meaning he is expected to miss the busy festive period in December.

More news: Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus DLC roadmap with releases dates revealed

In Clyne's absence, youngsters Joe Gomez and Trent Alexander-Arnold have filled in for the right-back slot.

The former of the pair has performed well in the role when given a chance and was recently called up to the England senior squad.

Meanwhile, star forward Sadio Mane is doubtful for Liverpool's clash against the Saints after the global break.

Share