The parents of 3-year-old Elijah Silvera said they were summoned to Harlem's Seventh Avenue Center for Family Services on November 3, where their son was gasping for breath as his airway was swelling shut.
On the page, they describe how Silvera "went into anaphylactic shock" from eating the sandwich, and doctors were not able to save him when he arrived to the children's hospital.
"He was just a light - if you see him, he is just a bright light", relative Ruben Porras said said of Silvera, who had just become a student at the school.
The Seventh Avenue Center for Family Services did not immediately return a request for comment.
Elijah was severely allergic to dairy, and he later died at Harlem Hospital.More news: ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi may be in Syria's al-Boukamal
New York City officials have shut down a school after an apparent mistake that proved deadly. The department is "continuing to aggressively investigate what happened and whether the facility could have done something differently to prevent this tragedy", the statement said. The family also wants to know what protocols were followed.
The money raised on GoFundMe will help pay for an independent autopsy, according to the family. "As Elijah's parents, we will use our voices to draw attention to *completely preventable* life-threatening allergic reactions in USA daycares and schools".
"At this moment, it is unclear where responsibility for Elijah's death will fall, between the pre-K and the hospital itself", the page read.
On Wednesday, health officials told CBS New York it appears someone at the preschool failed to follow a written safety plan and didn't supervise the child adequately. "We want to find out exactly what caused Elijah's death and that will mean sorting out exactly where, if any, breakdowns may have occurred". When we leave our children with childcare professionals, we are entrusting them to care for their health and safety.
"It is an unimaginable time for everyone who loved Elijah, in particular for his 5-year-old brother Sebastian, who struggles to understand that his brother is truly gone", reads the GoFundMe page, which the family shared with news outlets.