New Star Wars trilogy, TV series announced

Share

The Star Wars universe is being expanded with a brand new trilogy of films, Disney and Lucasfilm have announced.

The new trilogy outside the ongoing Skywalker saga is to be overseen by Rian Johnson, the director of the franchise's upcoming film The Last Jedi, Disney said on Thursday. Lucasfilm and Disney are very proud, calling The Last Jedi a "powerful film".

Total revenue from Disney's cable business, the largest unit which includes ESPN and the Disney Channel, fell marginally to $3.95 billion in the fourth quarter, missing the $4.06 billion consensus of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S. "'Star Wars' is the greatest modern mythology and we feel very lucky to have contributed to it".

"The Last Jedi" isn't in theatres yet, but its director, Rian Johnson, is already getting a big vote of confidence from Disney.

More news: Hope Solo says ex-FIFA president Sepp Blatter grabbed her inappropriately

"We all loved working with Rian on 'The Last Jedi, '" added Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm.

The most interesting thing about this new trio of films is that Lucasfilm has specifically stated that it will not deal with the Skywalker family. The current saga trilogy will wrap up on December 20, 2019 with the as-yet-untitled Episode IX, helmed by The Force Awakens director, J.J. Abrams.

Johnson, who wrote and directed The Last Jedi has so far become the studio's darling, what with him managing to make the only Star Wars film since The Force Awakens, in which a director was not fired. Such a massive and lucrative undertaking would surely go beyond the basic idea of a new trilogy.

Disney is also making three standalone Star Wars films, including last year's Rogue One and next year's Solo: A Star Wars Story, following the origins of the charming roguish smuggler Han Solo, made famous by Harrison Ford in the franchise.

Share