A report by PIRG Education Fund, a nonprofit, found that two types of fidget spinners sold by Target have unsafe, illegal levels of lead in their making - almost 330 times more than the federal legal limit. In fact, one of the fidget spinners was found to contain 300 times the 100 parts per million allowable for children's toys.
The center circle tested for 1,300 ppm of lead.
Target responded to the report by claiming the toys are made for children 14 and over, so CPSC lead restrictions for children don't apply.
Per the Washington Post, a Target spokesman said in an email that the company isn't breaking any laws because, technically, the fidget spinner is neither marketed as a toy nor is it technically for children.
MASSPIRG, a consumer advocacy group, alerted Target and Bulls i Toy, the distributor.
Bulls-I-Toys, the manufacturer of the fidget spinners in question, said in a letter to US PIRG that "there are no mandatory CPSC requirements for it" because the packaging makes it clear that the item should not be used by children of a certain age.More news: Mariah Carey accused of sexual harassment by former head of security
We have seen a fair number of trendy toys come and go, with last year's hoverboards taking a step back amid lots of product issues, and now fidget spinners are the "it" thing.
But now a consumer advocacy group says two types of fidget spinners being sold at Target could be risky.
CoPIRG says lead exposure is particularly damaging for young children because of its impact on development. With the holidays coming around parents are bound to buy a few fidget spinners for their kids. On Target's website, the "Fidget Wild Premium Spinner Bass" is recommended for ages 14 and over, as well as, 6 and over. "CPSC stands for the Consumer Product Safety Commission", Kara Cook-Schultz, the nonprofit's toxics director, said in a statement.
In the report, the lab results were tested twice to confirm the results. Furthermore, per Business Insider the products are sold alongside kids toys.
Target said their product safety team reviewed the US PIRG's test results and decided there was no need to pull the products from its shelves or website.