Media Rights Capital, which produces House of Cards, and Netflix released a joint statement on Monday saying they "are deeply troubled by last night's news concerning Kevin Spacey, ' who 'as previously scheduled" is not now working on set.
The move comes after actor Anthony Rapp came forward with claims Spacey made inappropriate sexual advances toward him in 1986, when he was 14. Rapp claimed that Spacey found him and drunkenly put the teen on a bed to "seduce" him.
"But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior, and I am sorry for the feelings he described having carried with him all these years".
Variety has learned that the streaming service and producer Media Rights Capital are in very early stages of development on multiple ideas for a potential spinoff.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the end of the series had been in the works during the summer.More news: El Shaarawy's brace helps Roma outclass Chelsea 3-0 in CL
Star Trek actor Zachary Quinto said it was "deeply sad and troubling" that this is the manner Spacey chose to come out, adding that he thinks it is "a calculated manipulation to deflect attention" from the accusation of abuse.
Issuing a joint statement on Monday October 30, Netflix and Media Rights Capital confirmed that Spacey was not now on the House of Cards set - quietly begging the question of if he will ever return to it. Spacey responded to the story on Twitter, explaining he does not recall the incident, and he announced that he now chooses to "live as a gay man". Spacey said he did not remember the encounter, but was "beyond horrified" to hear Rapp's account.
Although House of Cards will come to an end after season 6, the universe could continue on. "That said, I take reports of such behavior seriously and this is no exception".
Spacey went on to say that Rapp's story "had encouraged me to address other things in my life".