An 8th Child Has Reportedly Been Killed By Recalled Ikea Dresser

Share

Dudek is the eight child to be killed by a recalled Ikea dresser.

Jozef Dudek, 2, was napping alone in a room in May when the three-drawer dresser fell over, crushing the boy.

"It fell over on top of him". "It didn't contact any furniture".

Eight children in total are known to have died when Ikea chest of drawers fell on them, with four being crushed by the brand's Malm item, which was recalled previous year. The evidence developed in the cases showed that IKEA had been aware of other deaths and injuries arising from furniture tip-overs that failed to meet minimum safety standards, but nevertheless refused to re-design its furniture products to be more stable and tip-resistant.

The company is offering full refunds or free wall-anchoring kits to those who still have the dressers.

In a new statement to NPR, IKEA said it stresses to consumers that they must use the wall attaching hardware included with their chest or drawers since they can easily be pulled down by a young child.

In a written statement to ABC News, Ikea said, "Our hearts go out to the affected family, and we offer our honest condolences during this most hard time". "Unfortunately, there are 29 million of these things that were sold, and the recall was ineffective in alerting consumers about the problem about the defective condition of the dresser".

More news: ENLINK MIDSTREAM, LLC (NYSE:ENLC) Files An 8-K Regulation FD Disclosure

Ikea recalled a total of 29 million bureaus sold in the U.S. a year ago after the products failed industry safety tests because they could fall over when unattached to a wall.

The families of the toddlers were awarded $50 million to be divided among the three families. "We have to do better, because these are just ticking landmines in a child's bedroom", she insisted.

An eighth child has been killed by unsecured Ikea dressers toppling over as the products were part of a June 2016 recall, ABC News reported on Thursday. The company reiterated its safety warnings in April 2016 after a third child died.

The most recent death occurred in May involving a 2-year-old California boy. The family did not know the dresser had been recalled and plans to file a lawsuit, the family's lawyer said. Seventeen of these resulted in injuries of children between 19 months and 10 years old.

Feldman's law firm alleged that the toddler's death was "completely avoidable", according to a Thursday report from PR News Wire.

"The true tragedy is there might be more of these in the future", Mann said.

Cowles said a relatively small percentage of affected pieces have been remedied by a refund or fix kit - perhaps as low as 3 percent - citing recall progress data from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission from January 2017 obtained by the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Share