Is your home fire escape plan ready?


Leighton said that especially rings true when looking at statistics, where most fire deaths occur during the sleeping hours between midnight and 8 a.m.

Over the next five days, firefighters will be visiting area shopping malls, grocery stores, and schools dispensing safety tips to protect Londoners from fire. According to the National Fire Protection Association, a home structure fire was reported every 86 seconds in 2015, with about 80 percent of all US fire deaths annually occurring at home.

Post says you should check your smoke alarm batteries at least once a year and change your smoke detectors every ten years. Although too young to really grasp the idea of fire safety and truly understand it, exposing them to firefighters in full equipment still helps. These free smoke alarms, and the effort to educate about the importance of having a smoke alarm in your home, are an easy and effective tool to prevent loss of life and property.

To prepare kids for a fire that they hope never happens, firefighters donned helmets and masks, demonstrating what their voices sound like through all the protective layers.

For over 90 years, Fire Prevention Week has brought awareness nationwide to fire safety and preparedness.

More news: United Nations slaps port ban on ships dodging N. Korea curbs

Practise your home fire drill twice a year.

Home fires are one of the deadliest disasters nationwide and can affect anyone at any time.

According to the American Red Cross, if a fire starts in your home, you may have as little as two minutes to escape. Topics range from "stay low and go", don't back into the house or building to retrieve anything, and smoke detectors.

Make sure your smoke alarms work.

The NFPA recommends that parents teach children how to escape on their own, to close doors while escaping to slow the spread of smoke, heat and fire. Reliable, properly placed smoke detectors are vital to keeping your family safe. "As we all learned earlier this year when there was a room on fire at Mimosa hall, students assumed that it was just another fire alarm and did not evacuate".