Three patients were found deceased on the second floor of the facility and several other patients in varying degrees of distress were transported.
North Carolina reported its first Irma-related death on Friday after a man died from carbon monoxide poisoning, and two more people died in Florida from the unsafe fumes, including a woman in Palm Beach County.
Hollywood police said Thursday that the Broward County facility had some power but the building's air conditioning system was not fully functional.
"Once we determined we had multiple deaths at the facilities, and that the facilities are extremely hot we made the decision to evacuate all of the patients", said Raelin Storey, public affairs director for the City of Hollywood.
One person has died and three others are being treated at a hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning from an electric generator in Daytona Beach, the fourth such death as people across the state wait for power to be restored after Hurricane Irma.
At a news conference, Florida Power and Light said it serviced portions of the facility. "Thousands of FPL employees and partners from across the country are working day and night to help get Florida back up and running", said Jim Robo, NextEra Energy chairman and CEO.More news: MLB Commish Rob Manfred Sox Guilty Of Stealing Signs ... Fined Undisclosed Amount
Local authorities are still sorting out what exactly went wrong at the 152-bed Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills in Hollywood, Fla., where a loss of power and the apparent lack of a functional backup generator created fatal heat.
President Donald Trump couldn't resist injecting a dose of politics into his tour of storm-damaged Florida on Thursday, saying Republican Gov. Rick Scott is doing such a good job with the recovery effort that he should run for the Senate.
Florida residents who evacuated ahead of the storm faced lengthy traffic jams, meanwhile, as they returned to check out their homes after days in shelters or with friends or family. "Not just my Betty but all the people", said Jean Johnson, who was friends with Betty Hibbard, one of the eight victims, for more than 60 years. "We rode out that awful storm in a shower that I had reinforced after Hurricane Marilyn", Benson added.
The governor said he's directed state officials to issue an emergency moratorium to prevent the facility from admitting new patients.
There are some conflicting details about exactly how much power the building lost. Residents had been temporarily evacuated when the storm lashed South Florida, but they came back around the time the electricity went out. Police are going to the 42 other assisted living facilities in the area to check on those other residents. The staff used fans, put cold towels and ice on patients and gave them cold drinks, he said. "How am I going to last here?" she said, as a tear rolled down her cheek.
Older people can be more susceptible to heat because their bodies do not adjust to temperatures as well as younger people. "Someone let the ball drop very, very far", Kenneth Nova said by phone from his home in Winter Haven.