Elderly man stuck in elevator for almost a month found dead


The Denver senior citizen pushed the emergency button twice but help never came. Leading up to the gruesome discovery, residents complained of a foul stench.

Komisarchik died between the morning of July 6 and August 2 after he was unable to escape an elevator, possibly because of dementia.

John White, the spokesman for Denver police, said the elevator "wasn't inoperable". The fire department reportedly never received an emergency call from inside the broken elevator.

Greg Pixley said a criminal investigation confirmed Komisarchik pressed the button, which - per city code - must be monitored at all times. All elevators are required to possess an emergency signaling device labeled "Alarm" next to the floor buttons and operating panel.

The Post reported that in compliance with Denver city code, the elevator auto should have had an around-the-clock emergency switch labeled "Alarm", and an intercom system or phone labeled "Help" for those inside to contact security.

When the parking garage at the Woodstream Village apartment complex was inspected last December, it was deemed to be in good working order.

One reason for the tragedy may have been the fact that the parking garage where the elevator was located was closed for maintenance.

More news: Military options 'locked & loaded' on North Korea: Donald Trump

The elevators at the apartment complex are monitored by MEI Total Elevator Solutions monitors.

Greystar Management Services is investigating, the company told CNN in a statement. The company is reportedly cooperating with local law enforcement officials and their investigation into Komisarchik's death.

Komisarchik had not been seen since he left a nearby nursing facility on the afternoon of July 5.

She told the station that her father "couldn't take long walks".

"He could've gotten disoriented at times", she said. However, police say apartment workers failed to check the parking garage elevator after checking two other elevators in the building.

An 82-year-old man, who was stuck in an elevator for almost a month despite pushing the emergency button twice, was found dead last week after people reported a foul smell.

The medical examiner has not yet released Isaak Komisarchik's official cause of death. The company said they are now investigating the incident with local authorities.