Dozens of Athletes in hospital with norovirus

Share

The London hotel at the center of an outbreak of sickness that has struck down scores of competitors at the World Athletics Championships said on Tuesday it was not the source of the illness.

"Thomas Barr is the only Irish athlete who has been affected".

Ireland's Thomas Barr also had to withdraw from the 400 meter hurdles semi-final. Makwala would normally be scratched from the final after pulling out of another event.

The Canadian and German teams staying at the Tower hotel, near Tower Bridge, were believed to have been affected by the bug.

But while she may have quit global athletics, that's not to say Martin's running career is totally over.

Public Health England London deputy director for health protection Dr Deborah Turbitt on Tuesday said, "PHE has been notified of a confirmed outbreak of norovirus among people associated with the World Athletics Championships".

More news: Plug Power, Inc. (PLUG) Shares Gap Down Following Weak Earnings

"Those affected have been supported by both team and LOC (local organising committee) medical staff".

Restricted contact will also be enforced between the new members and the rest of the team, who have been offered immediate flights home. "This involves limiting social integration and movements of affected individuals; for athletes staying in the rooms whilst having active symptoms - remaining within the designated camp, and visitors with symptoms staying away from public areas".

The Aldershot Farnham and District runner had achieved a PB of 31:35.92 at the Games in Brazil, and was crowned British champion in the same year.

"We have so far been made aware of approximately 40 people reporting illness and three of these cases have been confirmed as norovirus by laboratory testing".

"PHE has been working closely with the London 2017 organisers and venues to provide infection control advice to limit the spread of illness".

Share