Sanchez to miss start of the season

Share

Arsene Wenger has reiterated Arsenal's position on Alexis Sanchez, insisting the Gunners will not welcome any offers for the Chile worldwide.

Arsenal attacker Alexis Sanchez is out of their Premier League opener against Leicester City.

Sanchez has been tracked by Manchester City, his preferred destination, with a move to Paris Saint-Germain now looking less likely. "I don't know if it is two weeks or one more week, but he will not be available".

After seeing his current club win its seven all-time FA Community Shield over fierce West London rival, Chelsea 2-1 in penalties, is Alexis Sanchez set to leave Arsenal?

The 28-year-old's future has also been continuously speculated about, with Sanchez still yet to put pen to paper on a new contract, although reports on Wednesday suggested that potential would-be suitors Paris Saint-Germain had ended their interest in signing him.

More news: Justice Minister: Trump's rhetoric around North Korea 'unhelpful and scary'

Asked if any bids had been lodged for Sanchez, the Frenchman replied: "I can't tell you that at the moment".

Wenger said Sanchez would be missed but admitted he would not have started the game against Leicester even if he was deemed fit to play.

"For us, Alexis Sanchez is a loss, of course", Wenger said, adding that he was unlikely to have included the Chilean worldwide in Friday's starting line-up regardless of the fresh injury. "But we have all the other players prepared in pre-season and they are all ready".

However, Wenger seemed convinced that Sanchez - who is in the past year of his contract - will be going nowhere this summer.

Speaking after that latest clash with the defending top-flight champions, Wenger, who will not be able to call upon the services of the suspended Laurent Koscielny, said that Ozil only had a "little chance" to feature against the Foxes and that Ramsey could also be lacking the requisite fitness. "That is a continuation of what I said at the end of the season".

Share