Braces Wire Swallowed A Decade Earlier Causes Woman's Stomach Pain

Share

"That led us to put her into a CT scanner straight away and then take her to theatre based on what we found", Dr. Shepherd said.

A woman (not pictured) discovers she swallowed three inches of braces wire ten years after hers were removed.

Two days later, however, she returned to the hospital because her pain had gotten worse. Doctors thought that the pain was caused by her gallbladder, and released her from the hospital when the pain subsided.

Turns out, there was a wire-shaped object in her small intestine, according to Live Science. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true. However, the woman wasn't aware a piece of her braces actually ended up in her stomach.

Doctors in Australia removed a piece of braces wire from a woman's small intestine 10 years after she initially had her orthodontics removed, CNN reports. However, what's worrying is the fact that the woman has had the metal in her bowels for 10 years or more.

More news: North Korea Seriously Considering Strike on Guam: Reports, Citing State Media

A scan showed that the wire had pierced several parts of the small bowel, causing the intestine to twist around on itself-a condition known as a volvulus.

She pointed out that the case was a rare occurrence. "There might be a higher chance if you're sedated and undergo a dental procedure".

Dr. Pat Raymond, a gastroenterologist and assistant professor of clinical internal medicine at Eastern Virginia Medical School, told CNN that the case is peculiar because the woman had no memory of ingesting the wire.

"The other thing that we see not infrequently are fish bones", added Shepherd.

"Usually, when people have an injury related to swallowing something, they remember accidentally swallowing it or intentionally swallowing it", she said, adding that the wire was "relatively large".

Share