Copper cocktail mugs can be poisonous, health officials say

Share

However Iowa's state Alcoholic Beverages Division has issued an advisory bulletin reminding bartenders of the danger in using unlined copper mugs, warning of the poisonous nature of copper and copper alloys when mixed with acidic foods. It may look appealing and give you the satisfaction you need, but is it safe?

According to the Food and Drug Administration's Moral Food Code, copper is prohibited from coming into direct contact with foods that have a pH balance below 6.0.

The popular Moscow mule cocktail is known around the world for the iconic copper mug that it is served in. If they do, they risk suffering food poisoning. This means, copper mugs that have a copper interior may not be used with this beverage.

However, lucky for Moscow Mule lovers, they do have a solution to this dilemma.

More news: First New Form Announced For Pokemon Ultra Sun And Ultra Moon

A Moscow Mule is made with vodka, spicy ginger beer and lime juice and the pH of the drink is lower than 6. Complete with a lime garnish, the drink serves up aesthetically pleasing photo-ops for outlets like Instagram.

Moscow Mules are traditionally served in a copper mug, but health officials warn the classic combination could lead to food poisoning. Before preparing the drink, make sure you choose one which has copper only on the outside.

According to the report, symptoms of copper poisoning include vomiting, stomach pains, confusion, drowsiness and fainting fits.

According to The Independent, copper mugs that are often used for cocktails could give you food poisoning, warns a USA state department.

Share