The group celebrated the anticipated release of visitor records as a "Major CREW Victory" in a Monday morning tweet, but it remains unclear exactly what they will receive as Mar-a-Lago reportedly does not keep thorough visitor records.
The left-leaning group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington announced Monday that the Department of Homeland Security will turn over visitor logs to the group as a part of an April lawsuit. "We hoped that the Trump administration would follow the precedent of the Obama administration and continue to release visitor logs, but unfortunately they have not", Bookbinder said in April after the lawsuit was filed.
Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, known as CREW, says DHS has until September 8 to hand over the Mar-a-Lago visitor logs.
The decision comes after litigation by the watchdog group in conjunction with the non-government organizations National Security Archive at George Washington University and Columbia University's Knight First Amendment Institute.More news: Can't afford another window to deposit banned notes: Centre tells Supreme Court
DHS said in response to the lawsuit that it has no records about Trump Tower.
CREW sued the Obama White House for access to visitor logs. "Given the many issues we have already seen in this White House with conflicts of interest, outside influence and potential ethics violations, transparency is more important than ever, so we had no choice but to sue". Trump earned $37.2 million from Mar-a-Lago last year, according to his most recent financial disclosure form - a almost 25 percent increase from the previous year. "We are glad that as a result of this case, this information will become public for meetings at his personal residences - but it needs to republic for meetings at the White House as well".
The Department of Homeland Security has agreed to hand over records related to the property's visitors in September.