Encounter underway in J&K's Anantnag district, one civilian killed


Anantnag: In an morning encounter at Dailgam village of Anantnag district today, security forces have killed two militants including top Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) commander Bashir Lashkari and an associate.

Reportedly, Bashir Lashkari carries a bounty of Rs 10 lakh on his head and is said to be the mastermind of the June 16 terrorist attack on a police party in the outskirts of Anantnag district of South Kashmir.

One woman was killed and seven other people wounded in the cross-firing after she was caught in the exchange of fire between security forces and the militants during the operation.

Security forces launched a cordon-and-search operation in Brenti-Batpora in Anantnag at 3:00 am today after they received information about the presence of the militants, a police official said.

Paying tributes to the people of Breinty Dialgam, Nasreen said that the people of the surrounding villages exhibited resilience, and risked their lives to try and save the militants. Militants were holed up inside a house in Brenthi Batapora village of Anantnag and security forces had to blast their way in using explosives. A counter-operation is now underway to flush out the holed up terrorists.

More news: Bill Cosby trial: Judge declares mistrial after jury fails to reach verdict

"They (forces) were not even letting women from a house where militants were trapped to come out", alleged a resident, according to the daily Greater Kashmir.

The deceased was identified as Tahira, a housewife who is believed to be in her forties.

Three more protesters were gunned down in Budgam district's Chadoora area on March 28 as forces fired to disperse stone-pelters during an encounter. "He had worked as an Over Ground Worker (OGW) for militants in different areas of south Kashmir".

A police statement later accused militants of holding civilians as human shields. Six people sustained injuries and some of them were hit by bullets.

Earlier on June 24, two terrorists, who were holed up inside the Delhi Public School in Srinagar's Panta Chowk, were neutralised by security forces the next day. Local authorities have suspended mobile and internet services in the area so as to curb rumours.