The U.S. Supreme Court is going to allow portions of President Trump's travel ban to go into effect against six majority-Muslim countries. That review should be complete before October 2, the first day the justices could hear arguments in their new term.
The court is allowing the ban to go into effect for foreign nationals who lack any "bona fide relationship with any person or entity in the United States". Travelers who have close relatives who are United States citizens; have been accepted at a United States university; or have been given a job to to work at a United States business are examples of people with bona fide relationships, according to the Supreme Court.
More than 100,000 people legally entered the US from the six countries in fiscal 2016, which ended last September 30, according to State Department data.
"People, the lawyers and the courts can call it whatever they want, but I am calling it what we need and what it is, a TRAVEL BAN!", Trump tweeted June 5".
This, we believe, is a key point worth making now that the U.S. Supreme Court on Monday cleared the way for the Trump administration to impose a scaled-back version of its travel ban.More news: Stop terror attacks being launched from your soil, India, US tell Pakistan
The approved portions of the travel ban could take effect in less than 72 hours.
Earlier this month, Attorney General Paxton led a 16-state coalition on an amicus brief filed with the Supreme Court in support of the travel ban.
The government argued that a 90-day pause on entry of travellers from six mostly Muslim countries "is necessary to prevent potentially risky individuals from entering the United States" as the administration reviews gaps in the government's screening and vetting procedures for visa applicants and refugees. In response to the criticism, the administration revised the ban, but opponents said that it was still discriminatory towards Muslims. The president announced the travel ban a week after he took office in January and revised it in March after setbacks in court.
In a statement, Trump says that his "number one responsibility" is to keep the American people safe.
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit upheld the order.