Baby in Coma for 5 Days Dies in Brooklyn; Father Remains Jailed


The grandmother of the 16-month-old girl, who authorities said was beaten into a coma by her dad on Father's Day, is brain dead, according to her grandmother.

Nylah Lewis spent five days fighting for her life after the attack on Father's Day, but died Friday morning, according to Maimonides Medical Center. "We at Maimonides Medical Center extend our heartfelt condolences to her family, who wish to have their privacy respected at this sad and hard time". Police say the baby's mother, 17-year-old Tammy Lewis, picked her up from a visit with Taylor but then raced her out of his Coney Island apartment building because she was unresponsive.

The baby's mother then tried to leave the apartment with her daughter, but Taylor stopped her, allegedy by punching her in the face.

Officers were able to catch and arrest Taylor shortly after.

More news: PM Modi greets nation on Eid, says 'diversity is India's strength'

The district attorney's office will be looking into upgrading the charges against Taylor.

Nylah's father, 19-year-old Shaquan Taylor, who was arraigned on Tuesday and held on $250K bond, will now face murder charges in addition to assault and endangering the welfare of a child. Please don't ask who Nylah's moms is nor do I still f- with her cause NO.

A judge had issued an order of protection against Taylor on behalf of Lewis, the Daily News reported earlier this week. Taylor claimed she fell off the bed while he was in the shower.

A June 20 New York Daily News report wrote that Taylor frequently took to social media to express that he wished Nylah had never been born. "I don't know if he was on something". "Exactly why I hate that lil b-h". VIDEO: Father arraigned after toddler found beatenShe said the family that never saw this coming, describing little Nylah as a joyful girl whose father, Shaquan Taylor, is behind bars. When the mother arrived, she found Nylah face up on the couch and struggling to breathe. "I didn't do nothing at all", Taylor said. She was immediately taken to Coney Island Hospital in critical condition. "'Just f***ed (that) hotty a**, that's it".