58 missing and presumed dead in London apartment fire

Share

The blaze tore through all floors of the building and took more than 200 firefighters 24 hours to bring it under control.

British media have reported that contractors installed a cheaper, less flame-resistant type of exterior panelling on the tower in a renovation that was completed just previous year.

The new exterior cladding used in a renovation on London's Grenfell Tower may have been banned under United Kingdom building regulations, two British ministers said Sunday as police continued their criminal investigation into the inferno that killed at least 58 people.

Police now say at least 58 people are presumed dead following a horrific fire Wednesday that destroyed a high-rise apartment building - and the people who lived there are demanding answers. "And therefore, sadly, I have to assume that they are dead", he said.

Police Commander Stuart Cundy says police will seek criminal prosecutions if the evidence warrants.

The remains of an exercise bike and kitchen appliances can be clearly seen in one apartment. Police fear that number may rise and the BBC understands about 70 people may have been killed. He asked anyone who was in the tower and survived to contact police immediately.

Police say the harrowing search for remains had paused Friday because of safety concerns at the blackened tower but has resumed.

John Cowley, managing director of CEP Architectural Facades, which produced rainscreen panels and windows for Grenfell Tower's cladding sub-contractor Harley Facades Ltd, said: "Reynobond PE is not banned in the UK".

British Prime Minister Theresa May has faced criticism for not meeting survivors in the immediate aftermath of the major fire, which has rendered hundreds homeless, unlike Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn and London mayor Sadiq Khan who met with the locals on their site visits.

More news: Cosby set for 3rd day of sexual assault trial

The group, which spent two-and-a-half hours with May on Friday and Saturday, hit out at the "longstanding neglect" of council buildings in the area. The British government has announced a 5 million-pound ($6.3 million) emergency fund for the victims.

He said: "Clearly it's quite unprecedented for 16 very ordinary people, who this time last week were walking their dogs or talking to each other in the streets around here and north Kensington, actually to be in 10 Downing Street talking face-to-face with the Prime Minister".

She said the Government would offer resources beyond the £5m already committed to helping those displaced by the fire if necessary, and announced a deadline of three weeks for families to be found another home "nearby" to the Kensington area of the fire.

Officials are using dental records, fingerprints and DNA samples to try and positively identify victims.

The tragedy cast a pall on the Trooping the Color festivities that mark the official birthday of Queen Elizabeth II.

"It is hard to escape a very somber national mood", Elizabeth said in a message on her official birthday.

"It was a death trap, and they knew it", one person shouted as demonstrators surged inside the offices of the Kensington and Chelsea council, responsible for managing the social housing block in a working-class enclave of one of Britain's richest districts.

The images of the 24-storey building being ravaged by fire "should be forever seared into our nation's collective memory", he said.

Queen Elizabeth and her grandson Prince William visited a community center Friday where some survivors are being housed, with volunteers inundated with donations of clothes and food. "My commitment to families is that as soon as we can, we will locate and recover their loved ones", Cundy said.

Share