Congressman Scalise, shot Wednesday, is improving, doctors report


MedStar also confirmed previous reports that Scalise is showing signs of improvement - being more responsive and speaking with loved ones - following surgery Saturday. Dr. Jack Sava of MedStar Washington Hospital Center said it's a "good possibility" that the Louisiana Republican will be able to return to work in his full capacity. While he's still under sedation, Sava says Scalise has responded to family members.

"He remains in critical condition, but has improved in the last 24 hours", reads a statement provided Thursday by MedStar Washington Hospital Center, the medical facility now treating Scalise.

Scalise, the House majority whip, was one of five people shot when a gunman opened fire Wednesday as the Republican team practiced in Alexandria, Virginia. The congressman sustained "substantial damage" to organs and blood vessels, Sava said, and remains in intensive care.

His most recent surgery was aimed at healing internal injuries and a broken bone in his leg.

One of those people transported to GW was the shooter, James Hodgkinson, who later died.

More news: Meet The DOJ Official Who Could Take Over The Trump Investigation

"I feel a lot more confident and a lot more optimistic than I did two or three days ago".

Sava said Friday that there are hundreds of bullet fragments in Scalise's body, but "we have no intention to try and remove all the bullet fragments at this point". Another Capitol Police officer, David Bailey, who was hit by shrapnel, and a congressional aide, Zach Barth, who was shot, were previously treated and released from a hospital. But he will remain in the hospital for "a considerable period of time" and faces additional operations.

At Friday's hospital news conference, Scalise's chief of staff Brett Horton read a statement from Jennifer Scalise, the congressman's wife.

On Thursday night Scalise was honored at the annual congressional baseball game at Nationals Stadium, where a record crowd showed up.

First responders airlifted both Scalise and Griner in a U.S. Park Police Eagle helicopter, capable of carrying two patients, to the hospital for treatment.