Cleveland fires 1 officer, suspends 2nd in Rice shooting


Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams announced the discipline against officers Timothy Loehmann, who shot the boy, and Frank Garmback, who was driving the cruiser.

Tomiko Shine holds up a picture of Tamir Rice during a 2014 protest in Washington, D.C. Timothy Loehmann, the police officer who shot and killed the 12-year-old boy, was sacked Tuesday for answers he provided on his personal history statement during the hiring process.

Tamir's mother, Samaria Rice, expressed mixed feelings about the discipline. The auto moves close to Rice, and less than two seconds after the vehicle arrives, Loehmann shoots the boy.

22 November, 2014: Tamir Rice is shot and killed in Cleveland. Officers believed he was carrying a weapon, but it turned out to be an Airsoft replica.

"They fired him for lying on his application, which I wish they would've fired him for killing Tamir", she said.

As the investigation continued, McGinty's office released reports that his office commissioned from national experts on use of force, and written statements from both Loehmann and Garmback.

More news: Shot-shy Penguins survive rally to claim Stanley Cup opener

But the Critical Incident Response Committee concluded that neither Garmback nor Loehmann violated any police policies during the shooting.

"There's a 12-year-old kid dead".

"Loehmann was allowed to resign from the Independence department after six months following a series of incidents where supervisors determined he was unfit to be a police officer".

The final decision to fire Loehmann was made after what Cleveland's Mayor Frank Jackson deemed an "exhaustive process" of investigation.

Earlier this year, the 911 dispatcher who took the call that led to the shooting was suspended for eight days. The Cleveland Police Department did not review Loehmann's personnel file before hiring him in March 2014.

The termination is also due to the fact of Loehmann "providing false information" when he applied to the police department several years ago. Garmback's suspension was related to his operation of the patrol vehicle on the day of the shooting and failing to report his arrival time to radio dispatchers as soon as he arrived at the recreation center.