It's been over a year since Prince's untimely death, and many have wondered what will happen to his $200 million dollar estate. Meanwhile, the siblings named in Eide's declaration won't be allowed to collect from Prince's estate without the judge's approval.
District Court Judge Kevin Eide filed the ruling on Thursday in Carver County, Minnesota.
The decision is good news for Prince's relatives, as his estate has been managed by court-appointed executors - first bank bosses at Bremer Trust, before financial services experts at Comerica took over in February (17) - since his death from a drug overdose, aged 57. Eide said in his ruling that if the appellate courts send those cases back to him, he'll still fully consider them.More news: Trump willing to try engagement with North Korea, on conditions: Seoul
Prince's assets will not be distributed to his heirs without a formal court order.
Prince was found dead April 21, 2016, in an elevator at his Paisley Park estate in suburban Minneapolis. More than 45 people have already had their claims rejected by the court, including a woman claiming to have secretly Wednesday the Purple One years ago in Vegas and a convict in Colorado claiming to be his son. And until the appeals are resolved, Eide said the siblings won't be able to collect anything without his approval. Bremer stepped aside earlier this year and Prince's heirs have squabbled over the estate's advisers.
According to an announcement at the time, those recordings comprised most of Prince's released work after he ended his initial deal with Warner Bros in 1996 as well as unreleased material, but also rights to certain recordings within that initial Warner deal; Warner is disputing those terms.