United Airlines boss: no one will be fired for plane 'dragging' incident

Share

"A lot of people have ideas and thoughts about how we can make things better, but in that segment, there's been a lot of support", said Munoz.

His lawyer said the 69-year-old man suffered a broken nose, concussion and other injuries when he was removed from the flight.

According to the senator's staff, the proposed Airline Passenger Bill of Rights will include minimum cash compensation for involuntary bumping, limits on the use of police to remove passengers who refuse to voluntarily give up their seats, and restrictions on the ability of airlines to bump passengers in order to accommodate crew members or elite-level travellers.

United Airlines says there has been "concern" from its lucrative corporate clients in the wake of negative sentiment generated by the leggings controversy and the infamous "re-accommodation" of Dr. David Dao.

"The flight 3411 incident, while undoubtedly a public relations disaster, will most likely not materially affect United's medium- to long-term financial and operational performance".

"It was a system failure across various areas, so there was never a consideration for firing an employee or anyone around it".

More news: 'Sword stands ready,' Pence warns North Korea

"Your agency must conduct a swift, sweeping investigation into United Airlines and the industry practices that led to this incident", wrote Blumenthal.

United Airline's Image Takes Online Beating In Memes, Comments: Social media reaction to video footage of a passenger being dragged from a full flight Sunday night has been swift and merciless.

Mr Munoz declined to address that or other possible changes until the airline finishes a review by April 30.

Munoz and his top lieutenants indicated that it was too early to tell if bookings had been affected by the incident.

But he said the company had not considered sacking anybody over it.

"Many of us who fly frequently have experienced overbooking situations", Lipinski said, "but obviously how it was handled in this circumstance was unacceptable, and no passenger should ever be put through what this individual was". Munoz said he's met with the Chinese consulate to discuss the incident and has a previously planned trip to China within a few weeks.

Share