Chael Sonnen & Wanderlei Silva Headlining Bellator MMA Return To PPV

Share

The mixed marital arts promotion confirmed former UFC title contender Chael Sonnen, the self-proclaimed "Bad Guy" of MMA, will face Wanderlei Silva in a much-anticipated fight to headline Bellator 180 at the Garden on June 24.

Bellator 180 will be a Pay-per-view event in the United States, the promotion's first since Bellator 120 in May of 2014. Spike President Kevin Kay told MMAjunkie the fight card drew 100,000 buys.

"We always said that when we come to NY, we'll bring the biggest and the best fight card we've ever had in the history of this company", Bellator CEO Scott Coker told the Associated Press. Bellator also will have a media day, open workouts and weigh-ins leading up to the pay-per-view card - just the second in Bellator history.

The Bellator brand has not yet broken into NY, since professional mixed martial arts was legalized there in 2016.

Sonnen and Silva coached against one another back in 2013 on The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 3.

More news: Old whatsapp status makes a return on the app

Sonnen (28-15-1) is coming off a first-round submission loss to Tito Ortiz in January.

It should also be noted Bader issued a challenge to Davis in an interview with FloCombat last month in hopes of earning a title shot in his Bellator debut.

Silva (35-12-1) has not competed since a 2013 win over Brian Stann.

Bader holds a 22-5 professional MMA record and has fought in the UFC since 2008 where he and Vinny Magalhaes fought in The Ultimate Fighter 8 Finale where Bader beat Magalhaes by TKO in the first round. Silva was supposed to fight Mirko Cro Cop in the Rizin 2016 Openweight Grand Prix, but pulled out of the fight due to injury. A fighter with 21 or more UFC fights makes $20,000 from the Reebok deal per bout.

Share